Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yahoo Movie User Reviews Aren't Fair?

Before I go to see a movie, I like to watch clips and listen to people who have seen the film already.





I used to think that Yahoo User Reviews were fair and the people had seen the movie and wanted to give me the skinny.





After a while I noticed how many of the reviews were either from people who hadn't seen the movie, or they exaggerated their review by either giving the movie all A's or all F's.





So my question is, out of critics and users, who should I listen to before I see a movie?

Yahoo Movie User Reviews Aren't Fair?
Ok. This is going to be a long question, so just be patient.





Alright, people on Yahoo Reviews do that so they can have the top review. They even make fake accounts so they can say their review is the best. They also take ideas from critics they like or judge it just on who is in it. Like when I KNOW WHO KILLED ME came out, people wrote reviews just to diss Lindsey. And when Pirates 2 came out, 3000 ratings had been made by 9 am. It is all just a contest who can get the most best answers on the most popular movies. I have a rule where I like to see the movie before I rate it. But, that is not the case to other people.





Critics and Yahoo Reviews are similar. There will be a mixture of those who hate or love it. My advice is to go through movies you've liked or hated and find a critic or critics who have enjoyed that movie. If you agree with a certain one the most, he or she or they are now your personal critic. DON'T USE MOVIE MOM!!!! She only rates movies by appropriateness, if that is a word.





My advice is to watch clips or look at proffesional critics reviews. If you like what the movie is about, chances are you will like it.





ALTHOUGH, you could use me. I can guess pretty much what movies you like or don't like by you telling me your top ten favorite and least favorite movies.





Add me to Yahoo Contacts if you are interested.
Reply:You pretty much answered your own question! Since the Yahoo Movies user base can't be relied upon to provide substantive reviews instead of rants, consult the critics instead. Similar to the above answerer, my suggestion is that you look up a few critics online, check their archive of reviews, and read their opinions on movies that you've seen. Then you can either consider the recommendations of critics who generally agree with you OR you'll know enough about how they disagree with you so that you can weigh their opinions accordingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment