Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bridge to Terabithia Movie; The Death of Leslie Burke?

How did the death of the character Leslie Burke effect you from the movie?


Did you know what was going to happen, and if so what tipped you off?


Did the events in the movie portray an event in your own life, and can you give more details?





Due to Leslie's death in the movie I found myself in a very deep depression for a period of 6 days recently. The reason for this was a combination of things which included the sudden way it happened in the movie (I did not see it coming), a lack of resolution after her death, I identified the character (visually represented by AnnaSophia Robb) as looking nearly identical to a friend from middle school, and parallels drawn between the circumstances in the movie coinciding with a loss I experienced as a child (my first love having moved while I was away, never having said goodbye, and never having seen her again since). I was left to deal with the issues myself, establishing my own catharsis.





I wish to understand others experiences with this movie.

Bridge to Terabithia Movie; The Death of Leslie Burke?
I had a similar reaction to the movie, she reminded me of 6 females in my life and it felt like they all died. A girl I knew since a year before I got to kindergarten, a girl from junior high (major crush), and my four great loves. I never got a feeling of closure for any of those girls. I wish that the previews had at least hinted about her death and I wish that I never saw the movie!! The obvious lusting that the teacher had for the guy who was the best friend of Leslie made it even worse!! I was waiting for the child molestation scene but the movie didn't have one.
Reply:I knew it because I read the book years ago. I hated the movie because the visual representation of the literature was not at all the way I envisioned it ought to be. It didn't so much stray from the story-line as much as it totally destroyed and/or replaced the settings. I hated that. It gave the whole damn thing this up-beat thing, but in the book everything was always so blah. That was the point of escaping to Terabithia with the Leslie. No one paid him any mind, and no girl had ever actually been worth hanging out with. Of course, I was dozing off when I watched the movie, so I may or may not be the best person to ask. But I still hated it, only because of the way it attempted to depict the book.

dental insurance

No comments:

Post a Comment